Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Obese is a four letter word...really, it is.


I am obese.

My BMI is 38.4 and that classifies me as mobidly obese by some standards or class two obesity.

I've improved. When I started this blog, my BMI was 40.9. I was super obese. I didn't even know that that was a term people used. Super obese makes it sound like a pseudo crime fighter that sits on its foes with jelly doughnuts in hand, waiting for the cops to show up.

I don't even get to be classified as overweight until I reach 174 lbs and my BMI will measure 29.9
I need to lose 50 lbs before I can say that I am overweight. Little depressing much?

I don't think that I have ever admitted to being obese. If I had to talk about it, I would always say that I was overweight, but I said it for the first time in my last blog post. What is even more of a wake up call is that I realized it was the first time too, immediately after I did it. I don't even like the sound of the word on my tongue. The wide Ob- makes the word all soft and round. The -ese feels greasy and slippery. Even in the social conscious, obesity is a dirty word, but it is formal at the same time. We don't say obese is day to day conversation. It is literally the elephant in the room, but I'm going to come right out and say it: I am obese.





I place a lot of significance in the BMI scale because I am not a body builder, but I am aware that it is not a good scale for everyone to use. I am 5'4 with an average bone structure.

6 comments:

  1. But you're not morbidly obese! That's bad. i think my bmi is somewhere around 50. Yay. The good thing is you recognize it and are willing to change it!! I can't stand it when people are around 100 pounds or more overweight and they insist it's their "body type". Bleh. You should be proud of yourself for changing. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand! When I started, my BMI was 42.1, after 8 weeks it's now 39.2 : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't focus as much on how far you have to go, look at the good you've already done! You may have started at 40.9, but you're not that now and it's still dropping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I avoid anything that mention the Big O like the plague when it comes to my own weight. I don't know my BMI. I don't WANT to know my BMI. I'm okay with not "knowing" that "they" say probably I'm obese. Partly because I know that I won't be. I may always be "overweight" according to some experts ... but I won't be so to an extreme. Mostly, though, it's because "Morbid Obesity" was the first cause of death listed on my mom's death certificate 7 years ago. It's definitely a dirty -- and painful -- word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have an award over at my blog!

    http://fightingtobehealthy.blogspot.com/2010/06/beautiful-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Wii mocked me .... the little line going up and then a disproving little ditty "you're obese" and my Mii would be like "dude, I know that."

    The day the little slider went up and said "You're overweight" i cried. I actually stood there and cried like a big baby.

    It's a hard word to hear over and over again.

    ReplyDelete

I love and welcome all comments and considerations. If you have any questions or something that you want to talk to me about something, personally or privately, shoot me an email at MiaY238@gmail.com