Wednesday, May 12, 2010

LHA Week 1 Weigh-In and Putting Things into Perspective

Last week's starting weight: 227.2
This week's weight: 227.3 (+0.1)
Minutes of activity: 305 minutes

I'm not surprised. With my binge last week and not really working out like I should be, I knew that I was not going to lose any weight. And I'm okay with that. It comes from realizing that in order to get to where I want to be, I'm going to have to work for it. And I'm going to have to work hard. I still think that I'm a little jaded in the sense that I'm waiting to wake up one day and just be magically skinny, or because I used to spend money on "fat flush pills" and hang out at the gym (not working out, just being there) that I would lose weight. I've waited for that day to come for years. I'm working on breaking 20 years of bad habits that are so ingrained and comfortable. It's going to be slow work.



In other news, I worked out with Nathan today. I was up way too late last night (4 am) with my friend, Kyle,  watching Moulin Rouge because I was depressed about being fat and single so he came over to keep me company and it really hindered my work out. I've been stressed about things with my ex and school, so I was just not feeling into exercise. We had to end early because I just couldn't do it. My legs were shaking and they would not hold me up. One of the exercises I did today, though, is called a dip and twist or something like that. How it works is I hold a medicine ball in my hands and bend over, touching the ball to the ground in front of my left toe (legs are slightly more than shoulder width apart) and then pulling the ball back up to my chest while twisting to my right and then pressing the ball into the air over my right shoulder, so the ball is moving diagonally across my body. We do this  I do this 15 times on each side using a 10 lbs medicine ball. To put things into perspective, I've lost around 10 lbs from my heaviest weight, and this ball was heavy! It made me feel a little better about what I have accomplished, even if it isn't a lot in comparison to everything I still have to do, but after I did my 15 reps on one side I was ready to die. You don't really realize how much 10 lbs can effect your body while it is a part of you. I couldn't imaging walking around all day with that 10 lbs ball strapped to my waist without being exhausted, but I've done that. Do you ever feel that way? When you have to lift the weight that you have lost outside of you body and then it hits you that you used to carry that around with you all the time?

I may not have lost a lot of weight, but I have lost inches and I'm becoming stronger. When I started working out with Nathan, it was hard to do a plank for 20 seconds, it was torture. Today I managed to get up to 40 seconds! I'm becoming healthier, regardless of what the scale says, but hopefully one day the scale will show me a number that represents all the hard work that I've done and all the work that is yet to come!

9 comments:

  1. The scale is not the only tool that can measure your success. Losing inches is even more important in my book so congrats on those losses.

    I know exactly what you mean about carrying around the weight. The other day my mom told me to go pick up my 3 year old nephew. She said for me to notice how heavy he is now. I told her that yes he has gotten big. She then said well can you imagine carrying him around all the time, never getting a break, never getting to put him down? Because that is what I had been doing. He was weighing what I had lost in pounds. That just blew me away. It really starts to put things in perspective.

    You can do this and like you mentioned you know what you have to do. So go and kill it for next week. You can accomplish this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu can do it.. I know you can breaking old habits are hard but they are well worth it. You will gain more when losing only less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally know what you're talking about. I've been thinking about the 20 lbs I've lost so far and how it would feel to just stap it on and carry it around again. I think you're onto something here.

    I just read through a couple of your older posts too and saw the roller skates. Um....ya.....LOVE IT! I've got Rock Skates. Bought them at Fast Girl Skates in Seattle a couple months ago. Owned and operated by a couple of the Rat City Roller Girls. Let me tell you...that shit is so much harder than it looks. I've been to a couple derby practices (and all the bouts) and been skating when I can at the local rinks around me and still struggle with some of the seemingly easy stuff like those damn cross-overs. I've managed to learn to stop and fall pretty well though. I mean with control so you don't hurt yourself. It's so much fun. I'm determined to do derby too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job feeling better and more in shape! That medicine ball exercise seems like a wonder worker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly have to fall before you can pick yourself up. We've all developed bad habits since we were kids and it is really tough to break them/replace them with new habits. Sometimes even when we think we've successfully changed our ways something happens in your life and we slump back to the old bad ways. When that happens all we can do is go forward (pick ourselves up). It is hard work for sure and you'll find there is a lot of great support from others on the same journey!

    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great analogy comparing your weightloss to a medicine ball! It really puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

    It also goes to show how big of an accomplishment losing 10 pounds truly is! keep it up, and maybe you won't even be able to lift the weight you lose!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoorah for getting stronger and healthier. That's what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is not so much about the weight as it is the inches anyway. Healthy and stronger are much better result.

    Great job on week 1 for the LHAS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love using those heavy balls! Are you using the kind that bounce? Sounds like you've caught on to the idea of "pushing it" more than throwing it. Two exercises I really like are...just push that thing up in the air over your head! Straight up! Release it up over your head. Catch it, bring it back down chest level, push it up again! Your shoulders will be burnin'!!! Second one...Face a very solid wall. From chest level, push it into the wall. Let it bounce just enough to come back to your hands. Pull into your chest again, push it back to the wall. Again, your shoulders are gonna HURT SO GOOOOOOOOOOD!! HAVE FUN!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and welcome all comments and considerations. If you have any questions or something that you want to talk to me about something, personally or privately, shoot me an email at MiaY238@gmail.com