Sunday, May 9, 2010

The 10K Day



Today, Vancouver was a very busy place because every year there is a 10K race, the Vancouver Sun Run. A lot of the roads closed down to make way for the runners and walkers from all aspects of life and fitness. So this morning, me and 50,000 people, give or take a couple thousand, made our way through the downtown core for no other reason than to move our bodies around! I loathe waking up early, in fact I don't think that there is a word for distaste that is strong enough to say how much I don't like waking up early ("early" is any time before 10am) but I got up, on a Sunday morning no less, at 8am to go for a walk.

The feeling of starting the Sun Run with so many people is very exciting. The energy around you is just something else. I took some great pictures on my walk, but like a total GOOSE I forgot to put my memory card in my camera and I can't find the cable to get the pictures off the internal memory of my camera...I was very disappointed in myself.

Me and my dad walked the whole way together and I am so proud that he was able to complete the whole thing without stopping. He and my mom have been training for this for weeks and my dad is not in the best shape of his life either, whereas I'm not in fantastic shape either but my mom asked me a few days ago if I wanted to come and I said "Oh, yeah I guess I could". I wasn't even registered in the run, I just kind of jumped in and followed the crowd and timed myself. LOL! We finished the 10K in 1:59:07, which doesn't include the four minute break to go to the washroom half-way. It was a good time for both of us, if I was on my own, I probably would have finished a bit sooner. When I did it on my own two years ago it took me an hour and fifty-four minutes. But oh man, my legs are so sore now! Tonight, I have a date with a bottle of Advil and my heating pad!

PS: It was a beautiful 17 Celsius degrees up in Vancouver (62.6 Fahrenheit), sunny with a breeze and I managed to get a good sun burn all over my face and arms. I can't believe it's only the beginning of May!

PPS: I found the cable for my camera! Go me! Here are some pictures from the run today :)


Waiting to cross the starting line. It takes a while before most people get to start, when you register to do the run you have to say how long it will take you to do the 10K and the faster you can finish, the sooner you get to start the race so you don't have to jump in between people with strollers.

Crossing the starting line around 10am.

For a lot of people, the Sun Run is a chance to socialize and have fun. I don't know if this woman did the whole 10K on stilts or if she took them off after a while, but she passed everyone pretty quick with her long strides! There are corporate and school teams that join together and do the race, but there was a man that was running around in a marijuana costume for team 420. He was actually full on running, darting in around people, it was pretty funny to see, shame I didn't get a picture of him.

The view as we walked over the Burrard St. bridge. Below are all the people a few blocks behind us.

I love Vancouver. So much.

The man just on the right,with the yellow sticker on his back is from Kamloops, which is a 5 hour drive or so away from Vancouver. People come from all over for the run/walk.

My mom and dad, dad is the one with the walking sticks and my mom is to his right. My mom finished the race in just under 81 minutes, she turned around and walked back to meet us as we were getting close to the finish line for the last 1/2 km or so.

11 comments:

  1. Look at all those people!
    What an exciting thing to do and with your Dad to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10k in two hours is really great! That's zippin' right along! Congratulations on your accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is awesome! I'm doing a 5k this weekend, sort of a last minute decision as well. It definetly helps to go with friends and family, but even better if they are the same fitness level as you. You did fantastic anyway. Good luck with the Advil! Remember, two more days until LHA week 1 weigh-in. Push through the pain, get moving again, and make it count. You'll be glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go!! It must feel awesome to have accomplished this. Congrats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the support girls! It was a really good day, even with all the sore muscles and joints now. I have not forgotten about the LHS weigh-in, I'm very nervous about that, my eating hasn't been quite on par as a I would like it to be, but I have two full days to work it off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the 10K! That is a good time and about what I would probably be able to walk it in.

    I hear ya about not being happy with what you have been eating this past week. I have not been eating very well. I have stayed in my calorie range but have not been eating food that is good for me but I am ready to get back on track.

    I can't wait for the weigh in on Wed. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing, that has inspired me to look into some walk-a-thon's in my city!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous accomplishment and a great memory created. You really do see all kinds of people when you go out to a race don't you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're such an inspiration!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey thanks for following my blog! Looks like we have the same start and goal weights.

    www.onceamodelnowawaddle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love and welcome all comments and considerations. If you have any questions or something that you want to talk to me about something, personally or privately, shoot me an email at MiaY238@gmail.com